News! Derbyshire Constabulary Care Card Service
- Created: Friday, 22 June 2012 12:01
The Derbyshire Constabulary Care Card is a system for people who have a disability or illness that affects their use of a telephone, or who may become confused or agitated during prolonged or stressful circumstances. Examples include if they want to ask a question, get some information or want to report a crime such as hate crime, lost property or criminal damage.
Any person can register by telling Derbyshire Constabulary about their specific needs and issues, and by giving them the contact details of people who could help them in times of difficulty.
A person can register for this service if:
- They have a disability or illness that affects their ability to hold a telephone for long periods of time, such as arthritis.
- They have a condition that affects their behaviour or memory, such as Alzheimer's disease.
- They become easily confused or agitated due to their illness, which sometimes can be aggravated by stressful or prolonged situations, such as Parkinson's disease or autism.
- Their ability to communicate effectively is hindered by the symptoms of a medical condition or as a result of an injury, such as a stroke or brain injury.
Derbyshire Constabulary promote this service directly to potential users, their carers and through other recognised groups that provide support to people with a disability. A carer may apply on behalf of the person in their care.
Once a person is accepted onto the scheme they are registed on the Care Card database and issued with a small card with a unique reference number on it, along with a special telephone number for them to use to contact the Police.
When a person rings the Care Card line, Contact Management Department staff are aware that a person with a disability or illness is trying to make contact with them as the call comes through on a specially designated line. The person then quotes their unique reference number, or provides their other personal details whereupon a search is made on the Care Card database to establish what their particular condition or difficulty is. This avoids the caller having to explain or repeat why they have problems contacting the police. The operator is also aware of the specifc difficulties and needs of the caller.
If a member of staff is approached by anyone with a Care Card who is requesting assistance please contact the Contact Management Department who will access the database on your behalf and provide you with details.
For the Care Application Form click here.
If you want more details about the service before you apply, or would like help to complete the application form, please contact Derbyshire Constabulary on 0345 164 1234.